A Note from the President
It is my honor to welcome you on behalf of The Society of American Magicians – the world’s oldest and most prestigious magic organization.
The links around the page will help you to learn about our Society – its history, its mission, its programs, and its benefits. You can even get a free sample copy of M-U-M Magazine, the monthly publication of the S.A.M., available to our members in both print and electronic formats.
If you like what you see, join us! Houdini, Blackstone, David Copperfield, and more than 47,000 other magicians worldwide have helped to preserve, elevate, and advance the art of magic as S.A.M. Compeers. Together, we learn, share, and grow in our knowledge and ability, and enjoy the fellowship of others, locally and around the world, who share a love of magic.
National President 2016-2017
History of the Society of American Magicians
The Society of American Magicians, founded on May 10, 1902, in Martinka’s famous magic shop in New York City, New York, is the oldest and most prestigious magical society in the world. For over a century it has promoted the ideals shared by Kellar, Houdini, Thurston and more than 47,000 others world-wide who have held membership in the society. Those ideals include the elevation of the Art of Magic, the promotion of harmony among magicians, and the opposition of the unnecessary public exposure of magical effects.
The S.A.M. offers the opportunity to unite and associate with leaders in the World of Magic – not only professionals, but amateurs, manufacturers, magic dealers, book authors and magic collectors. Through its monthly publications, annual conventions, and with almost 300 Assemblies throughout the world, the S.A.M. provides the necessary forum for the advancement of magic through discussions, lectures, research, performances, and exchange of magic secrets within the magic community. To promote those endeavors the S.A.M. presents awards and fellowships in recognition of outstanding achievement in the Art of Magic.
If you have a serious interest in the Art of Magic then you, too, can follow in the footsteps of Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, Jr., Siegfried & Roy, Lance Burton, Mac King, Mat Franco, and David Copperfield by joining the most prestigious magical organization in the world – The Society of American Magicians.
Interesting Facts About The Society of American Magicians...
- The Society of American Magicians was established on May 10,1902, in New York City, with a membership of 24.
- On February 7, 1903, Ehrich Weiss (a.k.a. Harry Houdini) was elected to membership.
- The Fourth Annual Dinner Show held on June 4,1908, included Harry Kellar, Harry Houdini, Howard Thurston, Signor
Deadato, Imro Fox, T. Nelson Downs, and others!
- In June, 1917, Harry Houdini was elected National President of the S.A.M., a position he held until his untimely death on October 31, 1926.
- Over 250 S.A.M. Assemblies have been established world wide.
- “M-U-M” is the official publication of the S.A.M. The letters stand for “Magic – Unity – Might.”
- The Society of Young Magicians (S.Y.M.) was established in July,1984. Nearly 100 S.Y.M. Assemblies have been established since that time. The official publication of the S.Y.M. is The “Magic SYMbol.”
- In July 2002, the Society celebrated its Centennial Year in New York City.
- Also in July of 2002, on the 3rd, the US Postal Services issued a Houdini Commemorative Stamp during the Centennial Celebration